I'll forgo the formality of Sister Bloomer and just call her Kris. Kris does such a great job with her camera and every time we get out without it I am soon sorry. She gets many great pictures and her many Missionary pictures generate many thank you e-mails from parents.
This was one of the most exciting days we have had in Peru. The Family History Workshop was all I had hoped for and I think it was a great success. We will be conducting these Workshops for the next month. Next weekend we travel to Huancayo which is in the High Andes. Early next month we travel to Huanuco near the jungle.
The Family History Fair was sponsored by The San Felipe Stake and nine Wards were involved. Each Ward was responsible for teaching some aspect of Family History. The Area was responsible for all the computers and a few other teaching tools. We were able to help many members register on New Family Search. The best part of the evening was to watch faces light up when their names came on the computer screen.
To my surprise I had to speak. I had taken a few pictures of us working in the Archives, and they wanted me to tell about what we were doing. I had not expected to say a word, and was caught flat footed. I started off by telling them, "I am sure you are wondering why a Senior Missionary assigned to Peru can not speak Spanish." This was all said in Spanglish. It got a laugh. I can do OK, but without advanced warning I had to revert to a rote dialog.
This brother had compiled over 3,000 names in an eight year period. This research was not done behind a computer. He had to travel hundreds of miles, and collect archive records to accomplish that number. However, he did not know how to submit the names. We got it done!
One thing we miss the most are our young grandchildren. Chance, our grandson in California, was ordained a Deacon yesterday the 21st. But, it is our little ones under 3 years old that kill me. Anyway, this little guy walked up to my feet and just looked up with his big brown eyes. I bent over and what to my surprise, he put his arms around my neck and gave me a big hug. I could not resist. I picked him up and his left arm was around my neck in a flash with his head on my shoulder.
To my surprise I had to speak. I had taken a few pictures of us working in the Archives, and they wanted me to tell about what we were doing. I had not expected to say a word, and was caught flat footed. I started off by telling them, "I am sure you are wondering why a Senior Missionary assigned to Peru can not speak Spanish." This was all said in Spanglish. It got a laugh. I can do OK, but without advanced warning I had to revert to a rote dialog.

No comments:
Post a Comment